6.25.2007

So Much to Say

But this is all for now:

Jaden had a wonderful week at Tennis Camp last week.
(and I, too)
It was M-F, 9-12--the perfect way to start the day.
He loved it and he's got skills.
So anyway, everyday at the end, they got two pieces of candy and an otter pop but on the last day they got TWO otter pops.
Beckam and I arrived just as J was standing in line for his otter pops and he was so excited that he was able to get TWO--one for himself and one for his brother. As he was telling me all the different color combinations he could get, another little boy maybe a year older, came up behind him and overheard him saying he could get, "o-gin and o-gin or o-gin and purple...."
He's just always called orange "o-gin" (pronounced O and gin like the drink) and I've always thought it was so cute and although we do correct him and he can say "orange" he usually still says "o-gin."
So this kid, who happened to be the coaches son, says, "O-gin! O-gin! What kind of colors is O-gin?! It's ORR-ANGE, ORR-ANGE."

While my heart is breaking for my little boy, Jaden is just standing there looking at the kid. This boy then proceeds to push his way in front of Jaden and tells him to get behind him.
THE LITTLE BULLY.
I couldn't take it. I calmly (so I thought) walk over to the little punk and tell him that Jaden's been waiting in line and that he needed to get behind him. I then quickly added that it was also OK if people talked differently than he did to which he sarcastically replied, "yeah, yeah--yeah it is."
And that was the end. That was last Friday.

Now fast forward to today as we're driving along in the car when out of the clear blue the following conversation ensues:
Mom remember when that boy was saying orange to me and you said something to him. I don't want you to say things to kids like that. It was really annoying. Why was it annoying Jaden? I don't know. I didn't like it. It just really freaks me out. Really? Okay, well I just thought he was being kind of rude by talking to you that way and then trying to get in front of you. Mom, you were being rude. I mean, he was being more rude, but you were being rude, too. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to be rude. Thank You for telling me. So you don't want me to say things to other kids and you'll just deal with it yourself?
Yes. Okay.

And then later, while recapping this story to Micah, Jaden asks how would I have known if he had told the little boy that he could always get in front of him in line?

Okay son, point taken--you can take care of yourself and you don't need your mommy to defend you. That was my goal anyway, I just didn't know it would happen at 5!

Another lesson learned.

10 comments:

laura said...

Wow. He is so grown up. I find myself biting my tongue, wanting to come to Davin's rescue. Kids can be so rude, and although I'm sure Davin can dish some out, I still don't like to watch it come back to him. I wonder how that would have played out, had you not been there. I'm always afraid Davin's way of "taking care of things" is a physical reaction. Let us know how it goes next time.

LollyGirl said...

I'm pretty sure I know how it would've played out. Jaden would never have said anything--he's not confrontational in those kind of situations. He's just not affected by things like that and he would have never mentioned it to me either--he totally handles things on his own, for better or for worse and hardly ever seeks adult intervention. Now, if the kid had taken his otter pop or if had said it to his brother, that's a different story!

Tara said...

I hate seeing kids be mean to my kids. I still usually step in but maybe I shouldn't. It's good that Jaden could tell you not to get involved. Impressive.

Anonymous said...

"and I would have gotten away with it if it weren't for that muddling mom"!

I think intervention is important - when it is necessary. I also think it is necessary when it would have an important result. But if the result is not important and the intervention is not necessary, then it's usually best to "screen but not intervene."

On the other hand, if the result relates to a significant parental interest, or the action taken by the offending little one is substantially related to a consequential right (although not necessary a fundamental one), then the motto should be: "always observe, but interject only when otter pops are involved"

Who's with me!?

libbie said...

I am pretty sure I would have done the same thing! This mamma bear always wants to protect her kids. That is amazing that he reacted that way. I think our kids are a lot stronger than we give them credit for. I still don't like to watch stuff like that though, even if its not my child. I always want everyone to get along . . . . if this were only a perfect world!

me said...

That's a great post. What a frustrating situation! I loved the conversation Jaden had with you. I love how kids could be analyzing something, but we never know until later when they all-of-a-sudden mention it way later.

I don't always fix situations for my kids because I hate being confrontational, and because I want them to realize that life isn't fair and that they need to learn how to emotionally deal with that.

Pao said...

That's a hard one, but I can totally picture Jaden in that position taking care of the situation by himself.At leat he doesn't whine about kids bulling him.Joshua needs to work that part out defend himself.But I can't help it I like to step in if I see something unfair going on.

Papa Randy said...

Cute story. Man o man. We learn so much from our children. Children shuld come with an owner's manuel. But being a parent is "on the job training" at it's best. Your family is so precious.

Amy said...

I haven't looked at your blog for awhile and boy have I missed out! A very happy late birthday and thank you for sharing so much from your life. You really have a wonderful family!

kipalee said...

"From the mouth of babes", I loved Jadens comments. It's nice to know he can feel for others and give them space of their own, at least when it involves mom coming in between them.

“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

thanks nicole.