6.05.2007

Lesson #2

I love the experience that goes along with having a 2nd child.
with the 1st, he started showing interest in potty-training early. like around 18 mo.
being the eager first time mom that I was, I got excited about the prospects of having a child potty-trained so early. well, that process was finally completed when he was oh, 2 1/2.

what I learned was that what they say is true.
they do it when
they're ready no matter how anxious you are.

so this time around, I decided to do things differently.
when this one started to show interest in the potty, great!
I let him explore when we were at home.
use that potty if you want, figure out what it's all about and when you're done, we'll just put that diaper right back on.
I wasn't going to start encouraging it until he was approaching the magic age of 2 1/2.
so last month that's exactly what I did.
we began "talking" about it, spending a little more time naked, and then a few weeks ago, as he started being more pro-active so did I.

and guess what?

without jinxing myself, I'd like to report that he's got it!!
we've had very few accidents. like maybe one in the last 5 days. it's been such a smooth experience this time around. not that last time was bad but it was just long and a bit frustrating as time drug on.

I also know that we might not be out of the woods just yet but so far so good.
and I'm happy that my plan seems to be working.

7 comments:

Heidi and Rich said...

Please share more...Spencer is 27 months and I am so clueless as to how to potty train. Seriously email me some pointers. heididoxey15@gmail.com

merideth said...

your story sounds just like mine. training my second child went so so much more smooth...i am sure it was because i also was trying not to push it to much. well congrats it would be nice to have only one in diapers!

laura said...

Wow. We had the opposite experience. We heard boys would train later, so we didn't push it until a month before Davin was 3. We did it on a Saturday and he really didn't have any problems after that day.
We heard that girls potty trained earlier, so we were really anxious with Kea. She's been in panties for about a 6 weeks and STILL has accidents at least every other day. Sometimes I just want to go back to diapers.

sandeebeaches said...

Just wait for the lessons #3 teaches you.

Papa Randy said...

Take it from a father of 7. Just when you think you have parenthood figured out something new comes along and life lets you know you are stils learning. Thyey all do everyting when they are ready. Being a grandfather is so much easier and fun. The phrase "having joy in your posterity" is so very true and worth the wait. Make sure you fing "Joy in the Journey". Trust me it goes by way to fast.

Papa Randy said...

Oh by the way, I am Amada Clyde's daddy.

Mandee said...

I am so jealous- Charlie showed interest this past winter... and we are still "working" on it. He'll be 3 in October. I just bought some briberies (it worked for Max) so we'll see how it goes!

“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

thanks nicole.