10.25.2008

lettuce wraps

my cousin carrie shared this recipe with me. we made them tonight and they were soooo good! beckam asked if he could have them in his lunch everyday and polished off two in no time. asher did, too! we are already feeling the appetites of four boys in the house--i can't even imagine what it will be like 10 years down the road. everybody (except jaden) wanted more when they were gone. i'll definitely double the recipe next time.

Lettuce Wraps Brenda Lee

1 lb chopped chicken (i used 12 oz. extra firm tofu instead)

12 lettuce leaf cups (romaine or butter lettuce) Crisp in ice bath 10 min.

2 T sesame seed oil

1 T minced garlic

1 T minced ginger

6 green onions

¼ cup soy sauce

2 T hoisin sauce

1 T rice vinegar

1t cornstarch

¼ cup cold water

Rice or Crispy Rice Noodles

Island Soyaki (sauce from Trader Joes)

Chop and measure all ingredients before starting. Heat oil in skillet over med-hi. Add garlic, ginger, and ¾ of green onions. Stir fry 30 seconds. Add ckn stir fry 3-4 minutes. In a small bowl whisk together soy sauce, hoisin, vinegar, cornstarch and water. Add to skillet. When mixture boils reduce heat to low and simmer 1 minute. Spoon mixture into lettuce wraps garnish with green onion, shredded carrots, cucumbers, peanuts, rice, and island soyaki sauce)

6 comments:

Dasha said...

Thanks for sharing such yummy healthy recipes. I had to get me some spaghetti squash because it sounded so good and it was. The kids all loved it, Lyena especially. Oh and on the boys appetites I think I got a glimpse of your future. I watched my friends three boys all day Friday. I thought Lyena ate alot but these boys, wow, they can really put it away.

Amy said...

sounds good, I'll have to try it.

Becca & Joel said...

Mmmmm! Thanks for the ideas! I learned one like this at BYUH in Hale 5 from a Thai girl, Nuk. Super good in her "secret sauce" which we still dip our home made spring rolls and potstickers in... just half soy sauce, half white vinegar... sooo delish!

Urmston Family said...

I love your recipes. We had the spagehtti squash one the other night and the fam loved it.

Urmston Family said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
jessica said...

We tried this last week and had to have it again last night - yum! Do you mind if I share it on my blog?

“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

thanks nicole.