10.05.2007

p.s. we LOVE the blanket darlybird

The Story of Asher's Arrival
for my sake
you may read if you wish.

it occurred to me on tuesday afternoon that with my previous deliveries, I've always gone into labor in the evening after my last Dr.'s visit before my due date.
my last scheduled Dr.'s visit was on wed., oct. 3 at 10am so we were curious if our luck would hold out and if our baby would arrive on oct. 4.

to our surprise my contractions started strong at 3am wed. morning and were 2-3 min. apart. after an hour I decided to wake micah, call my parents and call our neighbor to come over.
it was more premature than I've acted in the past by far but there were so many more variables this time that we didn't want to take any chances.

it was the perfect day for a baby because it was our babysitting co-op day and beckam was already going to his friend Lily's house for a playdate from 9-12 (while I went to the Dr.) and jaden would be in school from 8-12:45 (wed. is min. day).
our neighbors pick jaden up from school everyday since they have 3 boys at his school so they just took him to school for us also and stayed with beckam until he was picked up by our sweet friend Jaime for his playdate.

we arrived at the hospital at 6am. I was at a 3 but my contractions weren't nearly as intense nor coming as regularly so I was a little worried that they might not want to keep me.
however, I learned the words: "It's my 3rd" work like MAGIC.
when I called to tell them I was coming, I was also sure to tell them that I wanted an epidural.
and I'd already decided that since I'd made up my mind to have one, I wanted to feel as little pain as possible.
so by 7:30 my epidural was placed and unbeknownst to me, I was on my way to HEAVEN!
my contractions had actually stopped completely just before the anesthesiologist came in but nobody seemed to care. they started up again after about half an hour but weren't nearly as intense so they started pitocin.
they chose not to break my water since I was still quite high.

the part that really worried me about the epidural was not being able to feel or move my legs.
I thought I would hate that sensation but let me tell you how mistaken I was!
It was FABULOUS. I've never been more relaxed in my entire life.
I felt so warm and cozy and at peace and I liked the heaviness or weight I felt from being numb.
I loved feeling the pressure of each contraction without experiencing any of the pain!
I could control with the click of my thumb if I wanted more medication.
actually, micah enjoyed that job and in 4 hours, he pushed it twice.

my mom, dad and sandy arrived by 9:30 and we visited until 11:30 when the nurse came in to check me. I was at an 8 and my water was ready to be broken if it could hold out long enough for the Dr. to get there. the nurse was confident that the baby would be born very soon so she sent micah out to get the others.
the Dr. arrived at 11:45 while micah was out debriefing my family.
he broke my water and then told me to go ahead and give him a push with my next contraction.
I thought he was out of his mind. I hadn't felt any pressure. no pain. no indication that I should start pushing. even the nurse said, "you want her start pushing with the next one?"
his reply, "well, unless you want to sit here complete without having a baby."

so I pushed. and he said, "okay, two more just like that and your baby will be here."
still in shock that this was really happening, I asked if somebody could please go get my husband. micah and the gang made it just in time to turn the camera on for those last two pushes. for the 2nd time, I had a baby born with the chord around his neck but he was perfectly fine and never showed any signs of distress.

and for the very first time, I didn't have a single cut or tear, which was the icing on the cake!! WOOO-HOOOO!

it all literally felt like a dream. it is completely amazing and bewildering to me that I experienced all that without any pain. pushing was just so strange because I didn't feel anything and couldn't believe that I was actually making any progress.

it was an awesome experience!

they put asher on my chest as soon as he was born and he didn't leave my arms for a good hour when I realized that his daddy still hadn't held him. after I passed him off, I noticed that my epidural was already wearing off and I could feel my legs again.
I had been so worried that I'd be numb for hours afterwards but
the timing was so perfect that I was able to get right up and walk to the restroom by myself!

I believe that I have the greatest appreciation for the piece of heaven that is an epidural since I've experienced both a fabulous and beautiful unmedicated birth and an unmedicated water birth with pitocin--not quite as glorious.
I'm so grateful for each of these experiences.

I have to tell you that in between pushing, I calmly and casually said,
"epidurals should be mandatory!"
(I've never been able to say anything in between pushes before let alone, calmly and casually)

and I like how one dr. put it:
"you're like the Cheshire Cat in Alice in Wonderland: your legs and body disappear and you're just left with your smile!"

my mom made it back to pick up the boys by 1:30 and they got to meet their new baby that evening. jaden is a very proud and involved big brother. beckam is less interested but stops by for a hug and kiss periodically.
The Boyswe had LOTS of surprise visitors in the hospital!
jenny and jeremy happened to be 45 min. away at a work meeting and she just happened to call an hour after the delivery to say that she was totally tricked by my previous blog post and really thought the baby had arrived and couldn't believe it had been 5 days and she hadn't heard from me--but then realized that it was just the trampoline.
so micah then got to give her the news for real and she ended up getting to meet him when he was one day old.
then 2 minutes after saying goodbye to my sister on the phone because she had to "run into the kids school" she walked into my hospital room with all three of her girls and my niece Demi, Janie's daughter (we missed you Janie but hope to see you soon). they just came for the day but it was such a fun surprise and when we got home, she had prepared a delicious dinner and brightened our bedroom with this beautiful arrangement:

asher is so pleasant. he hasn't given us any trouble so far. he's a great sleeper and eater and we're all just getting along beautifully. doing this for the third time is so nice and comfortable.

the boys left today for bakersfield with my mom for the week.
jaden starts his two week break from school on monday so the timing was great.
they were so excited to go and we're glad they'll be so well entertained while we catch up on rest and gear up for this new phase!

11 comments:

Ixchelle said...

What a GREAT birthing story, and what a GREAT name you chose for that sweet boy!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! What a neat story. We are so happy for your growing family. We just had our #4 7 weeks ago. A boy too! Things look like they are going great for you. I am jealous of where you live. What a dream!
Janna Hart

Nicole said...

Well, congrats on the new little one!!! That story is great...I know what you mean about it feels like to be calm and peacful during the birth, and to not even know if you are making any progress. That is how it was for me with Jesiah. In fact in the middle of the pushing, the doctor said, "looks like this one has a lot of hair, do you want to feel?" I was like, "what you want me to feel my babies head right now?" I did, Jesiah did have a lot of Hair! Three more pushes and he was out. LOL

Amy said...

Congratulations! I am so happy things went so well. Asher is beautiful and he has a cool name, just like the rest of your kids! When I had baby Kai a few weeks ago, my leg actually fell because I couldn't feel it. It slipped of the bed and made a really loud noise, but I couldn't feel a thing. I just heard a loud noise and then realized it was my leg that fell:)

Jaime said...

I was so surprised that you already had a blog up about Asher! You're on the ball! I loved hearing the whole story and he looks so precious--he reminds me a lot of both Jayden and Beckam. I haven't called because I'm afraid of just waking you or bothering but I don't think I can wait much longer. <: Congratulations!

My Many Coloured Days said...

Wonderful experience! Giving birth is so rewarding! I'm glad you got your epidural - I too am a big believer! Enjoy your week with just the little one.

David and Amanda said...

Cheryl, I read every word of your delivery story, I loved it. Congratulations, Asher is such a babe!

Rachel said...

cheryl, i'm hoping my third delivery is a carbon copy of yours. i love seeing asher all bundled up in the blankie. so cozy. so cute. i love it; and you look so fabulous!

Phoebe said...

Yay! I have been out of the loop and haven't checked your blog for a while! What fun news to find.

Heidi and Rich said...

Wow - that really made me want to have a third. I think I should wait until my boys are a little older though. I am so happy for you. I too have had great experiences with epidurals. Hallelujah for epidurals.

With my second (Sammy) I too had to push only twice and there were no tears. It is amazing - you forget you even had a baby because the healing process is so quick without stitches.

laura said...

What a great story. There's nothing like a perfect delivery. That's how I felt with Kea. After she was out I calmly said, "That's it?" It makes such a difference. Then when you get to hold your baby you are 100% focused on him and not thinking of the pain you are in. I'm so happy it went well for you.

“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

thanks nicole.