6.28.2006

Our Extended Summer Vacation

We've been in Monterey for just over a month now with one and a half left to go. Time passes too quickly! In the five weeks we've been here, we've had six sets of weekend guests and had so much fun showing off the sites of Monterey many of which can be seen from our balcony!

We enjoyed a wonderful Father's Day weekend with my dad and Sandy. My dad was getting such a kick out of this monkey at Fisherman's Warf, or wait, was it Beckam's reaction to the monkey. Beckam wanted so badly to meet this furry friend, who equaled him in size (but not weight). He would climb down from my arms to get a closer look but scurried back up each time the little thing came near. He watched as Jaden confidentally climbed up and sat next to "Harpo" with his arm around him but when Beckam's turn came he hid his face and clung to me. When we finally turned to leave after saying our goodbyes to "Harpo" Beckam refused to go, grunting angrily and lunging backward toward him. Again, we gave Beckam his dollar so he could shake the monkey's hand. Again he refused. So we tried once more to leave and this time Beckam reached for my dad, took the dollar from his hand and urged me toward Harpo, finally allowing me to squat down next to Harpo as he quickly handed him the dollar while I shook his little leathery hand. It was so fun to see how persistant he was and what courage it took for him to meet Harpo! We met birds that day, too. Jaden is ever so brave per usual where Beckam tends to be a little more cautious--whew!






No comments:

“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

thanks nicole.