5.20.2008

honesty IS the best policy

jaden came home from school today reluctant to give me his daily report. it went something like this: "mom, if I'm honest, will I still get in big trouble?" "I don't know jaden." "mom, I don't know is not an answer--that's what you always say." "well, I can tell you you'll get into less trouble for being honest" (hoping that I can keep my word). "I got sent to the office." (1st time.) "why?" "for climbing on a pile of dirt." (me feeling a huge sigh of relief--I can deal with climbing dirt piles). here's a quick summary: jaden and two friends were on their way back to class from the bathroom and spotted a pile of dirt. wheels in heads start turning. boys succumb. one boy starts dragging other boy, best friend of jaden, through the dirt. just as jaden steps up to defend friend, they are discovered ("that's the bad part, I didn't even get to help him.") and sent to the office. here's my favorite part: "we were going to blame everything on [the dirt draggerer] but I realized that wasn't honest. and I said a prayer and asked Heavenly Father to forgive me for planning that. Ms. [office lady] let me go back to class first for being honest. I got my name on the board plus a check so I didn't get my star. I told my teacher she should give me three checks and call you." she didn't. but he still gets a star in my book. there are two principles I hope my kids learn in their life (okay a lot more really but there are two I seem always to go back to):
  1. Accept responsibility for your actions. along with the consequence.
  2. If you don't like something, figure out a way to change it. Be a PROBLEM SOLVER! don't stay on an unsatisfying path.
intertwined through this story are other not so fabulous choices like his newly acquired skill of climbing OVER the bathroom stalls, which he perfected on aforementioned bathroom trip but hey, you choose your battles. boys will be boys. dirt hill and stall climbing I'll take when it comes with integrity any day.

14 comments:

Jaime said...

Cute story! I always think you are such a natural when it comes to being a mom. You do such a great job.

melissa said...

What a sweet boy. A product of sweet, wonderful parents!

Miss you guys- it has been too long! Just a heads up, we are coming to your neck of the woods for the weekend of June 14 (for a wedding). Maybe we can try to get together- even for a minute!? We would love to see you!

jessica said...

I love this - and especially the second item you want your kids to learn. This is so important and something that I sometimes struggle with - it's definitely important!

Thanks for sharing Cheryl!

kiddle97 said...

Wow. He was honest. I'm impressed. Lately Mitch has been doing a bit of the lying action and I don't know what to do about it. Do I call him on it, or do I show him my trust even though I know he's lying?

Latter-day Saint Mom said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amanda said...

What a good boy!How cute is he? Thanks for listening to me vent at the park today - you helped me go from feeling like a nominee for "Worst Mom of the Year" to just a normal mom. You're a dream!

Shoecrazy Sue said...

Love this story. One of the GA's of church was asked what is the biggest mistake you made as a parent? His reply was that parents need to let their children make mistakes while they are young so they can feel remorse, repentance and learn to be responsible. I totally agree, our society today wants to blame everyone but themselves when a mistake is made. Jaden is right on track in his integrity!! What more could you ask for?

Latter-day Saint Mom said...

Hey Cheryl! I tagged you, so check out my site for details. Chanelle. changed blog address.

Amy said...

Good work Cheryl! You are a great mom.

KWit said...

Cheryl you are such an amazing mother and have taught your children so well. Love the story and what a fine young man Jaden is turning into! You can be so proud of that one!

libbie said...

that's so awesome. what a good boy. probably cause he has such good parents!

Alissa said...

lol
we had a similar story but kaiya ended up smacking a girl in the face at recess, because she called kaiya stupid!. We told her it is ok to defend yourself, but you should never hit someone! She told me about it the very minute she got in the car. I was happy she told me and that i did'nt get a call from her teacher. I dont think i was as calm as you she still got in trouble from me. she was being honest and i should not have been so hard on her. I do love her and her spunk with all my heart!!!!

Becca & Joel said...

Ok - is it totally cheesy that I'm crying! How sweet of him to come to you in that way - you've raised amazing children! I can't wait to meet them in person someday!

Stephanie said...

You are a good momma, Cheryl!

“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

thanks nicole.