2.20.2007

My Auntie

this is my auntie. she is my mom's identical twin sister. she is marlys and my mom is mayvis. these two are as genuine as their names! since my mom became a single parent of four when I was 2, auntie's role in our life was HUGE. we were her children. she lived with us a lot of the time and her authority was taken no less seriously than our mother's. in fact, you'd NEVER dare contend with her...if you knew what was good for you. there is no time in my life where her presence is not felt. she was always there. we always looked forward to her arrival. she LOVED, nurtured, adored, taught, guided, directed, supported and admired us as our own mother did and we could always count on that! you could always spot her face (or more accurately--her arms, flailing wildly to get your attention) in a crowd beaming with pride because she was really convinced that we were the smartest, prettiest, most creative and clever children alive. she would go on and on and on, and on and on, and on until you were nearly convinced yourself. like my sister said, "no need to spend too much time considering what to wear to the funeral because she won't be there to tell us how gorgeous we look." our auntie passed away Feb. 6, 2007 to a beautiful guitar serenade. she struggled with her health for the past three years, was diagnosed with multiple myeloma a year ago and underwent stem-cell replacement therapy in november with my mom as the donor. her body was tired and now she can rest in peace! her presence will be missed exponentially but she will be with me always. she is a part of me and I am forever grateful for the things she taught me and the hand she had in molding me into who I am today!!
thank you auntie, you will be cherished always! I LOVE You!

9 comments:

cchrissyy said...

what a lovely tribute. I didn't know her but I can tell how blessed you were to have her in your family.

sandeebeaches said...

Nothing like a good cry early in the morning. You truely have a way with words, and a beautiful family to use them on. It was great having you here this past week. We love all you Nilssons in Davis.

Phoebe said...

I am so sorry, Cheryl. I remember you telling great stories about your aunt. It's nice that she leaves a legacy of family that loves her.

My Many Coloured Days said...

Beautiful words. I'm so sorry for your loss and express my heartfelt gratitude for you to have been able to have such a person in your life.

tawni said...

Im sorry about your loss. I can tell she meant a great deal to you. That was a beautiful post. Thank you for sharing...

heymaughan said...

So touching, Lol. Thanks so much for sharing. You'll be in our thoughts and prayers!

Rachel said...

Cheryl--

I'm so sorry! What's amazing is the huge role she played in your life, and how that role will continue to be played out. And now she's free from pain and worries. Hope you're doing okay.

stina said...

Sorry about your loss. I enjoyed your post and I'll be thinking of you.

S. F. Philips said...

What a beautifully heartfelt memorial post.

“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

thanks nicole.