1.25.2008

tres

people always told me that once they had their 3rd all semblance of normality was gone. i think i'm feeling it. my life feels kind of crazy. like i need to multiply myself so that i can keep up. i spend so much time maintaining my house but never feel like i'm getting anywhere. you know, two steps forward, three steps back. this made me SMILE and say AMEN! i'm so glad she's back (for my sake and hers!!). she's been SO sick with #4! my baby, he's oh so cute and he doesn't like to sleep by himself, which makes getting stuff done seem impossible sometimes. and then there's these kind of things, which really adds to my work load but it's worth the experience for them.
and trying to man-handle all of them in public is a bit overwhelming. i see them behaving in ways i said my children would never behave. like using the aisles of old navy as a soccer field. but i say, what do they expect if they have bins of soccer balls?! or bouncy ball machines?!
of course, going to breakfast with the girls is a priority along with taking the boys to tennis and the library. and going to san luis obispo for the MLK holiday to spend time with my sister and niece and doing some FUN shopping. that's all much more important than staying home to get stuff done. oh, and can i get your opinion on this that some sweet friends came over and helped me with. do you like the arrangement? please offer any input or advice before we make it permanent.
today, is the first day, i feel like progress has been made. this is the first week in a long time, that i don't feel like i'm drowning in laundry. maybe it's doing a little, like one load from start to finish (wash-put away) everyday, instead of multiple loads sitting around waiting to be folded. i finally got both those bathrooms cleaned, the guest bed made, the mud hosed off the patio and the kitchen mopped. i don't have to admit how long those things have been on my to-do list, right? i am so lucky to have such a helpful and understanding husband, who does as much as he can to help me. thank you so much micah for ALL you do for me and the boys!!

i've found myself singing this song to asher lately:
Cleaning and scrubbing can wait for tomorrow,
For babies grow up, I've learned, to my sorrow.
So quiet down, cobwebs. Dust, go to sleep.
I'm rocking my baby, and babies don't keep.
it's a better way to cope than to just go crazy. and accept this life as my new normal. for now at least.

12 comments:

stina said...

I so totally relate to what you're saying. Things are much calmer now, but that first year has been overwhelming for me with each kid. Both have been fussy the first few months (so I can't ever complete a thought), and neither have slept well independently (so I can't stay on top of things)!

That poem is great. Perspective, right?? Things will calm down soon enough.

Asher is way too cute, by the way!!

sandeebeaches said...

YOU WILL SURVIVE.....I PROMISE. But don't ask me how long mopping my floor has been on my to do list. Thank heavens for BROWN tile.

Minna Dyer said...

I like the arrangement on your wall. It's fun and different yet cohesive.

I don't have three yet, let alone three boys, but I hear that's as bad as it gets.
Hang on!

Heidi and Rich said...

Cheryl - I love the arrangement of photos. Leave it!! I really liked the poem/somg at the end. I am so afraid to have a 3rd child. This post had me even more worried until I got to the end. Nothing really matters but happy babies and kids. I will have a 3rd one day- if I get up enough nerve to!!

kiddle97 said...

Cheryl, you surprise me. You always have things so together, and handle your boys so well, despite anything and everything. Are you writing this post to pretend to be human like the rest of us, or is it true that there is hope for the rest of us? I think I told you once that Brent and I want 5 kids... and we're wondering how we'll ever cope with two. I think you're doing an amazing job and the way your boys behave tells me they have a great mom. Despite what you say here, Brent and I can't help but compare you to my mom, aka Super Woman. Keep up the good work, and thanks for the poem at the end. It does give one hope! Let's get together soon.

Phoebe said...

Since I am an old hat at this 3 kids thing (Agnes is now 6 months old:)this is my new opinion.

3 kids is busy. BUT anytime you have a baby it is busy, with 1, with 2 and with 3. As she gets older is has gotten easier and we have figured out more of a routine, like doing one load of laundry each day.

merideth said...

this post is so my life right now...and i loved amys post too. it just feels so good to be in a clean home....hmmm how can i make that happen??

laura said...

You put into words how I feel - and I'm sure how every mom feels. There just isn't enough time in each day. I guess we just need to spend that time doing things that will matter in the long run to us. From what I've seen, you're an example of that theory.

Rachel said...

cheryl--

i miss you so much! i love catching up with you guys on your blog. how about a visit soon? maybe after this baby we'll make our way down to monterey. we love you guys! and i've always admired your put-togetherness mingled with your attention to your children. you are a wonderful example to me of mindful parenting and wife-ing.

Anonymous said...

the room looks beautiful. Great job. i feel your pain sister. i have four kids and a full time job. nothing is ever kept up anymore. enjoy being home with them while it lasts. it only gets busier the older they get. no joke, i thought it would get easier. well it doesn't. love reading your blog when i get the chance. love you much. sister in the middle.

April said...

I feel like that everyday! So, just know we are all out there scrubbing together! By the way, you have adorable boys. I hope I can meet the little guy someday. Just imagine having 2 at once! Aughhh

Jaime said...

Your boys are so dang cute! I love checking in on everyone and seeing how you are all doing! Hang in there with everything. It gets easier with each passing day.

“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

thanks nicole.