4.23.2007

have I told you about our exciting excursions lately?

it started with that eventful trip to the bay. we were lucky enough to have jenny come stay with us for a few days over her spring break and we decided to go visit erin while she was here. we arrived friday, late afternoon. during our visit, we walked the streets of china town, saw a fortune cookie factory that was incredibly interesting, toured HM, saw cannons being fired aboard a pirate ship, rode a trolley--jaden even got to hold on to a pole on the outside for one leg of the trip, ate at the rain forest cafe and had our first taste of ethiopian cuisine.

oh yeah and whilst awaiting the arrival of the check at said authentic eatery, a lady comes running to our table asking if we drive an acura suv to only then inform us that it had just been broken into and whatever was attached to our windshield stolen. that would be our portable gps. we always considered its portability a bonus, hum. so saturday, what was supposed to be 45 min. turned into most of the afternoon being spent at the glass shop. of course we had to leave saturday evening because a certain furry somethin' would be arriving in the morning to hide the easter eggs. and we left beckam's stroller at home. oh, and on our way back to erin's house on friday evening our car started making this strange knocking noise. and I'll just stop there.

after a good nights sleep and the morning festivities, including creamed eggs on toast, I got the courage back to pack up again for our road trip to arizona. "our" being me and the boys (just the little ones). we were a little curious about that knocking noise considering the hundreds of miles I'd be covering in the next couple of days so micah set out to access the situation. what he found--oh, two of our lug nuts loose enough to turn with his hand. coincidence? I say NO. had it not been for our lug nut locks, I think we may have been missing more than our gps (micah's not convinced).

I'm happy to report our trip to arizona was perfectly smooth and only eventful by way of visiting with old friends and family (including my 93? year old great, great aunt) and fun kid activities. I have to give a shout out to my incredible boys, who I'd wager are the best 2 and 5 year old road trippers ever. we were on the road for 13 hours each way (broken down to 4 hrs. one day and 9 the next) and there was never a complaint heard or a whine uttered--AMAZING! yes, I realize that will ALL change in 6 months but that's precisely why I did it now. I also have to admit that the only dvd watching was during beckam's one nap (each way), which was a welcome and much deserved reward.

so we've just been recovering lately and trying to get back into the groove. I was in bed by 9:30 the first few days, which really cut into my blogging time--I had no idea how exhausted I was. I think we're back now.

7 comments:

Mandee said...

I missed you! So glad you are back!

laura said...

Ohh- So glad you are back. It's crazy how some days are so awful from start to finish. It makes you more appreciative of your good days.

Heidi and Rich said...

I love you Cheryl. That blog just made me remember what an awesome person you are...full of faith, hope, and charity.

Phoebe said...

I am glad your trip went well. Even though it will be harder to travel over the next year, it's nice to realize that after a while traveling will get easier again.

Rachel said...

cheryl--

hilarious because i did read this---at least the second half. I don't know how i missed the whole car theft debacle.

Anyway, thanks for the lovely evening and delish food last night. you guys are the best!

merideth said...

hey cheryl
you will not believe that the same thing happened to my mom and I when we went to wisconsin to find a home.
our rental car got smashed into and the radio and little gps guy we had bought was stolen...they must be a hot item.

KWit said...

Wow... That does sound like a time and a half. I can't believe your car was broken into..STINK! And I've been telling Cory I can do a road trip with Mitchel and now I can use you as a exp. Thanks this will work great. Glad your home safe!

“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

thanks nicole.