8.11.2006

Mission Accomplished!!

We just returned from a trip home to good ole' Bakersfield! After one year of planning, organizing, calling, emailing, pleading, screaming and otherwise getting our ten year high school reunion to happen...it DID!! Although the week prior meant reverting back to my college days sleep schedule, practically abandoning my kids (with family members who literally lined up to help out) and questioning whether or not I'd actually have enough energy to attend the festivites, the events went off without a hitch and a GREAT time was had by all.

We kicked off with a picnic and White Water Rafting (thanks to Darron, Micah's bro. who owns River's End Rafting and Adventure Co.). We had a perfect turnout and the greatest bunch of volunteers (mom, dad, nieces, mom-in-law, sister-in-law, brother-in-laws) to make sure all the details were in order and that the kids were safe while their parents rafted. One of my best friends from high school had a small get together that evening and then the following night was the BIG event. At last count, we had 140 people. It was Perfect. Everybody was having so much fun reconnecting that very few people were even on the dance floor. It was so great to see so many people that you share so many different memories with. I'm proud of my husband who won the prize for the most moves in ten years with 21+. It was so fun being there with the person I would've been looking forward to seeing most!!

Just for fun let me explain the decor: we had 24 orchids shipped in from L.A., which served as our centerpieces and then were presented to all those who provided donations (cash, prizes, etc.). Our school colors were blue and green and IKEA has the perfect tealights, four to a pack that were placed around the orchids. We had individually wrapped cookies from our famous local bakery with HHS written on them at each place setting. My favorite part were the round paper lanterns (thank you again, IKEA) that hung at varying heights from the ceiling over the dance floor.

My favorite line: "Just let me know when you start planning the 20 year, I'd love to help!" Response: "I"m not planning the 20 year." Look of surprse, "Than who will?" "Not me." Maybe things will change in 10 years, M-A-Y-B-E!


I only had my camera on Friday so this is only some of the brave 1996 Scotsmen who rafted the Kern River!

5 comments:

laura said...

Cheryl- There you are. I've been wondering. Sounds like a great reunion. I'm impressed by all you put together. Ours is tonight, and I'm excited to go. Manja did have a get together last night so I saw most people, but it will be fun. The only downfall- only 80 people have bought tickets so far. How did you get so many??? Good work.

Bluebell said...

You did it! Good job! I noticed a bank statement on top of the mailboxes with your name/high school reunion on it, so I brought it home with me. Don't know if it's important or not, but I figured it wouldn't hurt. Our postal carriers have been making a lot of errors lately...Anyway, it's here and I'll give it to you when you get home. Can't wait to see you!

HornInFBb said...

Lolly, when are you going back to your regular home, anyway?

LollyGirl said...

Skinner Family--

How did your reunion go?!

Like I mentioned in the post, I begged, plead, called, emailed and spent entirely too much time trying to get the word out.

We had a lot show up at the door, too and two weeks before I received 21 payments in one day (after a pleading email). How many did you end up with?

cchrissyy--

We're back! We got home last night and have been busily unpacking and reorganizing trying to make everything fit again.

Sadly, our apt. flooded the day before we got home. Three rooms and about 1 in. of water in each of them. The plumber thinks it came from the upstairs neighbors. The university came in to wet vac and sent in a crew to disinfect and finish the clean-up. The worst of the damage was our 8 year old computer tower that was sitting on the floor, our cordless vacum and my collection of scrapbooking paper that was in a leather bag on the floor. Luckily, we have renters insurance and are somewhat glad that we'll actually get to use it.

Rachel said...

cheryl---you did such a fabulous job! i love the decorations and would love to see pictures!

“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

thanks nicole.