8.22.2006

Is It Really Time?

Jaden McKay Maika'i, 2 1/2
I've been adament since the time of his birth that Jaden would not go to kindergarten until he was almost 6 since he has a Nov. birthday (that would be next year). All the kindergaten teachers I'm acquainted with along with others I've talked to have supported this decision...all but my husband (he says he's been supportive just open-minded).

So recently, as we're trying to decide what to do next year since we didn't get into any of the preschools we applied to this year,
(he's been in an incredible co-op preschool for the last two years where he learned amazing problem solving and social skills and I learned a lot about parenting)
Micah comes up with this grand plan:
Jaden can start kindergarten this year and then repeat it again next year when we move elsewhere. It's free and will give him the advantage when he goes again next year.
I thought it seemed a bit ridiculous but then he came up with this one:
We'll start him in the spanish immersion kindergarten here and then have him repeat regular kindergarten next year.
I thought that made more sense but was determined to consult with my kindergarten sources before making any decisions on the matter.

Surpisingly, they thought it was a wonderful idea. I was even more assured since we just spent two days hanging out with one of my sources who's taught kindergarten for at least 20 years and is the mother of four FABULOUS children and the other is my mother-in-law, retired kindergarten teacher of 10 years and mother of six FABULOUS children, who also knows Jaden quite well.

Now, we're just waiting. We're only one week away and all the classes are full. We have all our paperwork in so we'll see what happens. He'll either get admitted to the Spanish Immersion program or overflowed to a regular kindergarten class.

It's such little time for me to emotionally prepare for this. I just can't imagine him being on a big playground with all these other strange kids I don't know. The good thing, is that he won't be. He'll be in a smaller fenced play area with only the kindergartners. That makes me feel better.

9 comments:

My Many Coloured Days said...

I came to visit your blog to view this discussion. Is it all day kindergarten? It's a battle I know and you may never know if you made the RIGHT choice. Just make the best choice you can for him and for you. Good luck.

stina said...

What is your reasoning behind wanting to wait?

LollyGirl said...

I don't know what constitutes all day kindergarten but it's only 3.5 hrs. I think that's normal. They have an AM and a PM session and so far he's only be accepted into a regular PM kindergarten class (not spanish immersion).

I've wanted to wait because I've always heard it's better for boys who are close to the cut-off since they'll be with kids an entire year older and are less mature (than girls especially). For example, Jaden's cousin who will be 6 in Dec. is starting this year. A year makes a big difference at this age and it scares me to think he'll be competing and compared against these kids in the classroom. I don't want him to struggle (which I realize is always a possiblity), I want him to enjoy school and I don't want him to be labeled as "ADD" or something because he's so energetic. I just always felt since we had the option that year would allow for a lot of growth and give him an advantage in these areas of concern.

What I realize though is that he's not an immature 5 year old compared to his peers, he's aware of his boundaries, he's self-motivated and he has good social skills. Of course I plan to be in good contact with his teacher to stay abreast of his progress.

HornInFBb said...

Lolly,
I understand the reasons for waiting and letting him have the mature advantage. but I wonder if the double-K plan might bring in a very similar problem- acting up in class in the second year- not out of younger impulse control issues but out of boredom... anyway, just somehting to think about. I always hated school when I was little because I was so bored with the repitition and slow pace. If he's a bright boy, you may have as much trouble from that side as from the stereotypical antsy-boy side.

just an idea though :) whatever you do will be OK!

LollyGirl said...

cchrissyy--

You definitely bring up a good point that we have also considered. We hoped that he would get into the spanish immersion program with the idea that it would be very different concentrating on learning (or at least extensive exposure to) the language than a regular kindergarten classroom so when he repeated it would be different enough.

Now, we'll have a BIG decision at the end of this year if he ends up going to just regular kindergarten and doing really well. Although, the sources have said, have him repeat anyway. We'll see.

Everyone--

Thanks for all the input. Please continue to post comments if any of you have more insight on the issue.

HornInFBb said...

The good thing is you don't need to know now what you'd do next fall- and even if you made the "wrong" choice between K and 1st, you can change it a month in if necesary. so don't sweat it :)

Your glowing report of his preschool, along with the other satisfied customers I've heard from, is making me consider sending E to one. If it's not already too late to get in...

Phoebe said...

I've been thinking about this for few days. I think that if Jaden is actually ready for Kindergarten then just put him in and then move him on if he is ready for 1st grade next year. The whole idea of waiting to start a child in kindergarten late is usually that they are not ready to go. So using it for a substitue for preschool seems off, but if you think he really doesn't need another year of preschool then go for it. But if he's not ready it would be better for him and his teacher and all of the other kids in class to not start him yet.
Just my opinion.

LollyGirl said...

Great point Phoebe!! I was hoping you'd comment, you have such great perspective. You're so right and that is exactly what it all boils down to. If he's struggling, we plan on pulling him out rather than making all those involved suffer. We wouldn't have him complete the entire year.

Rachel said...

amazing that you have a kindergartener. maybe it's good that you didn't have all of the usual anticipation...

“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

thanks nicole.