11.11.2006

To Stick or Not to Stick

That is the question.

I'm in desperate need of new pots and pans. A friend of mine is so good about keeping us abreast of great deals on Amazon and she posted this one again. I haven't made the purchase because I can't decide if I should go for the non-stick or stainless steel (yes, of course they're more expensive--story of my life, which is why I haven't just ordered them by now). I know the non-stick are so convenient but I have a bit of a concern about the health issues related to the Teflon. Any of you have any input or opinions on the matter? PLEASE. I've done some research and it seems that if you replace the non-stick before it starts to wear off, you're okay but I'm not so good about doing that. I HAVE to decide and get rid of my current hodge podge of worn non-stick cookware that's probably poisoning our family daily.

6 comments:

laura said...

Cheryl- I love your post. We are currently looking into new pans and I have the same questions. I can't wait to hear the feedback you get. I'm deciding between the hard anodized(sp.) and non- stick. I really do like the convenience of non- stick, but I hear food browns better, tastes better with the other stuff. I just hate cleaning anything but non- stick. Let me know what you get.

Bluebell said...

I'm no expert, but out of the dishes we currently own, I have a strong prerence for my stainless steel farberware. If we could find them, I'd buy cast iron. I don't really care about the hard-to-clean factor. I rinse dishes right away and soak anything that doesn't come right off.

Anonymous said...

Okay, I think you should borrow your friends pans and try them out. Just invite them over for dinner. I personally like non-stick...

jessi said...

Cheryl - After having non-stick pans for several years and having the teflon fall off and not feeling like I could scrub them like I wanted to because the coating would come off, I got a stainless steel set last year for Christmas. I love them! I do have to use a little more oil, but I can scrub them as hard as I want to when I clean them and they look as good as new at the end. Plus, most of the Food Network chefs use stainless steel, so I thought it would be good choice. Good luck making a decision. I got my set at Costco (Kirkland Signature brand) for about $175.

HornInFBb said...

I've never tired stainless steel. I deal with the nonstick fear by using only wood or plastic spoons, and making sure it's not burned off or deteriorating in any way.

LollyGirl said...

Thanks for all the input. I think I'm leaning toward the stainless, especially since they're at Costco for a good price.

Nice to hear from you Sarah Fay! How are you? Is Dec. looking promising?

“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

thanks nicole.