5.13.2009

(sorry to those of you w/ reader for the duplicate posts. )

happy mother's day.

mine was spent on sanibel island celebrating the marriage of my brother-in-law dan to the lovely sara kramer! it was such a beautiful and perfect beach wedding with lots of friends and family there to support them. when we arrived at the hotel the scene was reminiscent of our davis days looking like we'd landed at the bike barn. there were over 50 bikes lined up for every wedding guest each one personalized w/ a name tag. inside our rooms we had welcome bags including bios of each family member on both sides, sights to see on the island, a daily agenda, water bottles, sunblock, saltwater taffy and the beloved insect repellant!
learning from my sister-in-law's 500-and-something no.see.um (the bugs are that tiny) bites, i bathed in that stuff every night and got away unscathed.



images taken from minna dyer here and here.

we put many miles on our bikes mostly at night alligator hunting. at night they can only be seen when light reflects off their eyes that glow like fire. it was crazy creepy cool. we only had two minor biking incidents. one was my father-in-law who indoed and flipped over his handle bars, sending me into complete hysterics for a good 20 min. (i seriously have a sick sense of humor. what is wrong with me?!) however, i was repaid for my cruelty the following day, when i duplicated his accident as my dress got caught in my break pads and sent me sailing. i wasn't laughing then but fortunately, my adrenaline was at its max since we were on a photo scavenger hunt racing against the other nilssons and two of our competitors were actually passing us at that very moment so i didn't even feel the cut on my leg. we also spent a day at sea exploring different islands and marine life. we saw lots of dolphins and a sting ray JUMP out of the water. apparently they do that!! micah took me out on my first brief sailing excursion. besides my fear of feeling like shark bait, it was exciting and scary for a second when micah fell overboard leaving me to man the sail.

this image from christy dyer.

both of my sweet mothers spent their mother's day taking care of my children. a mothers job really never does end. i hope i can give my daughter, oh wait! i don't have one!!! my sons and their wives a kidless getaway one day, too (just not all at the same time)! and then do all their laundry when they get home so they don't have to (thanks again mom!). i hope i can show my children how much i love them the way my mothers show me! we so greatly appreciated our time together and squeezed every second out of our kidless getaway!


darron, dan and micah



















i returned to a beautiful new set of dishes from my boys that they remembered i'd been wanting and the sweetest homemade cards! these made my heart happy:

HAPPY mother's DAY
to mom
love Jaden Nilsson

mom I Love You so much you are the brite side of my life. love Jaden Nilsson.

and a picture of me watering my garden filled w/ beautiful flowers, a ladybug and bee. and a picture of jaden saying, "your garden is pretty" with me saying, "thank you."

9 comments:

Wendy said...

What an awesome weekend! I am so glad to hear that it was so great. Did anyone manage to get pictures of the bike accident?

Shoecrazy Sue said...

What a glorious get away! I am glad you enjoyed every minute of it. What warped girl would laugh at a bike crash by her father-in-law? Hmmmmm!!

Shoecrazy Sue said...

P.S. I am trying to zoom in on Maggies hair, it looks so cute. I am in a royal hair FUNK!

My Many Coloured Days said...

Oh my gosh this sounds AMAZING!

Laurie Von said...

how beautiful. so glad and jealous you were able to get away to paradise. love jaden's card too, now welcome back to lovely salinas.

Amy said...

What a fantastic trip! I always admire how your family does fun, fun things!! What a blessing to have mothers to help you and sons to love you. Happy Mother's day Cheryl!!

Anderson Family said...

Awesome pictures!

Amanda said...

After reading about this wedding and the one you went to in Mexico, I have made it a goal to make friends with someone who is going to have a really cool wedding! Glad you guys had such a good time...

kiddle97 said...

I'm glad you had such a fun getaway, even if you did crash a bit. But how wonderful to come home to sweetness from your boys. Loved the card from Jaden. Mitch came home from school with a card for Mother's Day -- it had theeee most hilarious picture of him, under which he'd written "Mom, you rock!" I still crack up laughing when I look at it.

“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

thanks nicole.