4.22.2009

sadness

it was with sad, broken and heavy hearts that we buried our precious tiny tim tonight.
i hate it so much and it hurts my feelings so bad. he was a 6 month old desert tortoise and was such a fun little pet. micah and i were amazed at how much enjoyment a little turtle could bring. he was so cute and social. he woke up every morning w/ the rest of the family. we loved him!

we're guessing he got dehydrated yesterday in the heat wave. i put him out on the patio to bask in the sunshine. he is a desert tortoise after all. he had fresh water and food and was in his little habitat w/ shelter from the sun. sadly, i never checked on him again yesterday to replenish his food or water and today i found him lifeless. such a sad, sad day for our family. i cried a lot.

he did have a good life but he will be sorely missed! and it's going to take some work getting over the guilt i feel.

jaden is worried about how we'll find him in heaven. "it's going to be so crowded. there's going to be so many angels and how will we recognize him from all the other turtles." i like his heaven. and this was a good life (death being a part of life) experience for the boys.

and just in case you thought turtles were bo
ring, please look at these tricks he could do:



















and can you see him in this picture nestled snugly under micah's leg?


sleeping in my hand.

















rest in peace
tiny.

14 comments:

Sarah said...

Pets are definitely a part of the family. We've said good bye to several hamsters and it definitely brings up a lot of discussions about the resurrection and plan of salvation...even weeks later. Give everyone a hug from us!

Dan said...

That's too bad. I didn't realize how small the turtle was!

The concern about finding Tiny Tim in heaven is valid. There will be lots of turtles. But I suspect that just like in the temple there will be someone in white to point us in the right direction.

Jaime said...

How sad! When I told Gavin it brought on a discussion as well about death. Gavin informed me that he would come back alive and be resurrected. I noticed his box out on your patio on Tuesday. So so sad.

Jessica said...

I'm sure going to miss that guy. I loved turtle-sitting him when you went out of town. He always made me and the boys so happy. If you end up getting another one let me know, I want to get one too!

KWit said...

Oooo I'm so sorry. It is so hard when pets go. They are so precious and loved. I am sorry for that. I Love jaden's heaven too!

cchrissyy said...

what a cutie! so sorry you lost him though. when I was a preteen I raised rabbits for 4H and my first year I lost several in the summer - they were outdoors with frozen water bottles to lay on and keep cool but it was still too much for them.

Amanda said...

I'm so sorry! I have always wanted a turtle but Jonny refuses - says they are too stinky...I know what you mean about guilt. I ran over the family cat when I was 17. =(

Shoecrazy Sue said...

Sincere sympathy from the Wiscombe Family!! Wish we could have been there to help with the funeral arrangements. Isn't it funny how our pets become such of a part of our family life? "I hope your great memories get you through this difficult time" spoken like a true funeral director huh? I LOVED your darling turtle. Tell the boys that I am certain that he will know the Nilsson family in heaven and waiting patiently!

Ixchelle said...

I am so sorry Cheryl. I know how much your family loved your cute turtle. We lost our favorite bird in the whole world last summer and we all cried for weeks. I believe we will all see our pets again someday. I'm sure your cute turtle is doing missionary work to all his turtle family. Love you.

Anonymous said...

Oh dear sister. You are going to miss your beloved Tiny Tim so very much. I am so sorry for all of you. You know I'm not a pet lover but this blog almost made me cry.

Also I absoutely love your family pic u took. It is beautiful and you all are sooo gorgeous. Made me want to get in my car and take a trip to Monterey!! I REALLY miss u guys. Please tell the boys how much I love and miss them. So hard to get away with track right now, but am looking forward to seeing them when they come soon. I owe you a phone call. Got a new cell phone now so should be much easier to get that done in my travels. Lots of love to all!! shelli

kiddle97 said...

Ooh! I'm sorry for your loss, but I love dear Jaden's heart!

Wolf said...

swine flu

Kaelee said...

As hard as it is to talk to kids about life/death I love the innocent precious questions and theories they present. We recently had this talk with our girls and it went on for days! We're very sorry for the loss of your turtle.

Carrie said...

He's so cute. I love, Jaden's comment; I'm sure you will have no trouble finding your little turtle. I agree with Myron, must've been swine flu, don't feel guilty.

“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

thanks nicole.